Saturday, August 11, 2012

Destructive Monsoon


For the past week, all our classes were suspended. It was because of the heavy rains caused by the southwest monsoon. Most of the National Capital Region and the nearby provinces were severely flooded. No one thought that the seasonal monsoon would cause a major disaster in the country.

As a toddler, I already came across this once. But I cannot remember the feeling and I was still unaware of the happenings. So I consider this as my first. Before, when I was still in the province, I haven't experienced it. Our province is surrounded with mountains so heavy rains cannot penetrate. Every time, I heard about typhoons and floods, it was not a big deal for me. When I saw the victims, I just felt sorry for them but not really thinking about them. Then, by the time I was already facing it, I have never thought that I became very worried. When I found out that the monsoon's rainfall exceeded Ondoy's rainfall last 2009, my anxiety grew more. The high floods also made me troubled. I have never imagined that I experienced it this early. But this incident taught me how difficult it is to live in a place frequently visited by storm. I also realized how lucky I am to grow in an environment where strong storms don't come.

My experience was a little bit scary particularly knowing that the places around me where flooded. I have never experienced flood or walking into it. I don't know how to deal with it if it reaches my place. That is why I salute those who deal with it every time the rain will be strong. If I were them, I think I will really find a new place to live.

In addition, I was very bothered by the intense lightning and thunder. I have never encountered it before. I have seen and heard them but they were not that powerful. We only have moderate and occasional lightnings and thunders. I have not thought that they will be very scary. They were like big flashes and loud bombs. I was always shocked by them to the extent that I woke up early morning because the thunders were very loud and terrifying and they occurred continuously. Since I'll stay here for a while, I think I'll be used to this.

With what happened, I realized that even how divided our country most of the time, in moments like this, we will always try to help one another. I am very delighted of those who sacrificed themselves just to save others. Also, I am pleased to those who donated relief goods and assisted in distributing them.  I am very proud that even only in these situations, we felt that we are one. I just hope that someday it will not be just during calamities but it will be permanent. It maybe impossible but who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment